All graduates and their guests are asked to arrive early and kindly cooperate with our staff during the required security checks. Please follow instructions given by police and security personnel in order to make your entry into the Ocean Bank Convocation Center as smooth as possible.
All guests and their bags will be inspected upon entering the convocation center for the safety of those attending. No large bags or backpacks (no larger than 17"Length X 10"Height X 4"Width) will be allowed into the Ocean Bank Convocation Center. Baby strollers need to be kept clear of all aisle ways and must be checked upon entering the convocation center as well.
University police officers will be posted throughout the convocation center. In the event of an emergency, or any suspicious activity, please contact an FIU police officer immediately or call 305-348-5911.
Individuals with special needs, disabilities or who are injured may request accommodations. This includes wheelchairs, sign language interpreters, ground floor seating and shuttles to and from parking.
There is reserved seating on the ground floor of the convocation center for individuals with special needs, and for those who cannot access the second floor. These reserved seats are marked with a blue "RESERVED" cover and are assigned on a first come, first served basis. Please see the seating ushers for assistance. Individuals who request reserved seating may be accompanied by one other guest. Requests cannot be made ahead of time, and "holding" of seats is not permitted. If your party wishes to be seated together on the ground floor, please arrive at least one hour prior to the start of ceremony so that we may assist you with seating arrangements.
Request a Wheelchair
FIU has a limited number of courtesy wheelchairs available for disabled guests free of charge on a first come, first served basis available on the day of the ceremony. Pre reservations cannot be accommodated. The guest will be required to leave his/her driver's license with a university staff member for the duration of the event. Upon receipt of the wheelchair at the conclusion of the ceremony, the driver's license will be returned.
Disabled parking will be reserved on the ground floor of the Panther Garage for holders of authorized license plates and permits. Please follow the signs posted and the directions of campus safety officers.
For accommodations for an illness or injury, contact in advance:
Prohibited Behavior & Items
Unruly, threatening, or disruptive behavior that may disrupt the ceremony is prohibited. Any individual violating this rule will be asked to leave the event.
The following items are not allowed inside the convocation center:
- Large bags or backpacks (no larger than 17”L x 10”H x 5”W)
- Firearms, knives, weapons, or any item deemed hazardous by FIU Police & management personnel
- Incendiary devices (fireworks, smoke bombs, etc.)
- Artificial noisemakers, including fog horns, and musical instruments
- Flags, balloons, banners, signs, laser pointers and other objects that may block or disrupt the view of other guests
- Illegal drugs
- Outside food or drinks, unless medically necessary
- Open bottles, cans, flasks, thermoses, ice bags, and coolers
- Video cameras, still cameras (professional) or cameras with lenses over five inches long and/or 50mm and above, tripods or monopods
- Selfie sticks
- Hover boards, skate boards, drone aircraft or remote control vehicles
- All packages are subject to search
Lost and Found
FIU will deposit items lost and found during commencement ceremonies in the convocation center lobby ticket booth. Please contact a staff member or call 305-348-2151 to inquire about any lost items.