- Understand our Policy & Security
- Arrive at least 1 hour prior to the start of the ceremony. Ask your graduate what day and time their ceremony will be held or check the schedule. Doors open 1 hour before the ceremony, but we encourage you to arrive early to help you beat the traffic, as well as get preferred seating
- Find the correct parking location. See Directions & Parking for details
- Find the Ocean Bank Convocation Center. Visit Campus Maps to find the location of the convocation center
- Make sure everyone has a ticket. Fire marshal regulations require that every guest, including infants, have a ticket. No one will be admitted into the convocation center without a guest ticket
- Request special accommodations if needed. Individuals with special needs or who are injured may request seating on the ground floor or other accommodations. See Policy & Security for details
- Arrive with your whole party. Seating will be provided for complete parties on a first-come, first-served basis. The "holding" of seats is not permitted. Each row must be filled entirely and no empty seats will be allowed. Members of your party who arrive separately will be seated separately
- Don’t panic if you’re late. Doors close at the beginning of the ceremony but graduates and guests who are late will be admitted after the ceremony starts
- Agree on a meeting place before the ceremony. We recommend you plan before commencement on a place to meet your graduate. This will help you find them in the crowds at the end of the ceremony
- Make hotel reservations. For guests from out of town, book with an FIU preferred hotel to get a grad discount
Guests from out of town are encouraged to book a stay in an FIU preferred hotel. All hotels offer discounted rates for FIU grad guests and are within a short distance of Modesto Maidique Campus (MMC) where commencement will take place.
Holiday Inn – Miami/Doral
The newly renovated Holiday Inn is just five miles away from FIU. It offers an on-site restaurant and bar, complimentary Wi-Fi, free parking and shuttle to and from the airport.
Staybridge Suites – Miami/Doral
One of the closest hotels to FIU, the Staybridge is a recently renovated, all suite property offering free hot breakfast, complimentary cocktail hour with food and drinks (Tuesday-Thursday) and fully equipped kitchens.
Hampton Inn - Dadeland
This beautiful Mediterranean-style hotel is conveniently located close to a variety of shops and restaurants at the Dadeland Mall, and is just a short drive away from FIU. It offers complimentary hot breakfast, Wi-Fi internet access, guest parking and on-call airport and area shuttle.